In our crazy world of broken promises, it soothes me to know I can depend on one source.
The divine One, God Himself, has never broken any of his covenant promises to me.
Some of his words of hope are recorded within the general principles of the Bible:
- I will never leave you or forsake you
- I will be your Comforter
- I will show you the path to take
- I will be your Guide
- I will be your eternal Husband
Although timing for these promises varies, and sometimes the seasons of life interrupt, when God says something and underscores it in print – I am certain it will eventually happen.
But the promises that mean the most to me – those certainties that create the a-ha moments of spiritual awakening – those promises are not recorded in the holy scriptures.
These are the divine whispers during my discouraging nights and my driest spiritual deserts. These are the words that keep me living in hope even when tentacles of fear and uncertainty tighten.
When I walked through the pain of divorce, God spoke his personal promise for my son and me, “There will be hard times ahead, but I will meet every need.”
Even through extended months of unemployment, scary moves away from comfort zones, the horror of watching my son suffer with cancer – through it all – the reminder of God’s statement kept me breathing.
“I will meet every need.”
Indeed – in miraculously beautiful moments recorded in my journals and kept sacred – like the Virgin Mary – ensconced in my heart.
Every. Single. Need. Was. Met.
- Jobs that suddenly appeared from unusual sources
- Cars given through the generosity of a good man
- The healing of my son and my own healings – emotional, spiritual and physical
- Money that somehow appeared. I constantly affirm God’s math is different from ours. He can make money poof into existence from a negative balance.
- Friendships spawned in the cusp of brokenness
- Housing – one of my constant prayers, “Please God, don’t let us be homeless.” A beautiful townhome where we healed for four years then later a mortgage refinanced, gardens where God and I created beautiful color and bountiful food
- Christmas gifts we received and those we gave – even when the budget no longer stretched far enough
- A research trip to Santa Fe, featured in the last Reverend G book
- And much, much more….
Every. Single. Need. Always and Forever. Met. The solo I often sang became reality.
But as sweet and as necessary as the confirmed promise streamed the credibility of the One who made the promise.
The words foreshadowed holiness because they originated from the source of love – the covenant made stronger because of the credibility of the Speaker.
So during this current desert, as I await the resolution for another promise, I continue to look for and listen to the One who has seared my heart with his grace.
“I will meet every need,” he said so clearly. No quantity of time assigned to his statement. Just an eternal assurance that the One who spoke the words will never violate his covenant.
He will meet the needs now as he has done in the past, because he cannot and will not change. His promise forever sealed within the identity of Who he is.
And in that assurance, hope streams.
©2016 RJ Thesman, Author of the Reverend G Trilogy http://amzn.to/1rXlCyh