A brand new calendar forces reflection on the passing of time yet also moves us toward new opportunities.
During my “senior” season, I am finished setting resolutions. No more of the usual “less sugar, lose some weight and save more money” focus.
This year, I want to dig deeper. Maybe it is the aging factor that forces me beyond the mere physical and into the extraordinary. Or maybe I have learned how empty some resolutions feel.
I seek something with more impact. So I have decided to focus in two directions:
To Look for the Presence of God Each Day.
I know the Divine Three live inside me, but I also believe God moves mysteriously around me.
During this new year, I want to be more aware of that Divine presence:
- In the energy of a crackling fire
- In the dancing eyes of children
- In the musical tones of nature’s breezes
- In the faces of strangers at coffee shops, the mall and the lines at Wal-Mart
- In the perseverance of the disabled who refuse to be victims
- In the hugs of my son
- In the colors and textures of my world
When I intentionally seek the presence of God, I hope to discover spiritual truths in new ways. Being more aware of God’s personal steps in my world reminds me he is my constant companion.
To Listen for the Divine Whisper Each Day.
God wants to communicate with us. He is the Word, and he is consistent in his desire for relationship.
But our world is so noisy, we often cannot hear what he longs to share with us.
I am fortunate to work in a job that involves silence. I write with no background music or white noise. Yet I can still miss the soft baritone of my Savior.
This year I want to be more aware of his voice, to hear with an extraordinary sonic volume:
- When God gives direction or guidance
- When he reminds me to backtrack or fix something wronged
- When his creative whisper births an idea for a new book
- When he asks me to be still and know
- When he just wants to say, “I love you.”
My goal for this year is to spend time each evening with a few moments of evaluation: How was the presence of God real that day? How did I hear God speak that day?
Maybe by next December, I will have developed a keener sense of the Trinity in every day life.
That goal gives me hope.
©2020 RJ Thesman – All Rights Reserved
With a new year comes the opportunity to revise our goals. Check out Setting and Reaching Your Writing Goals.